Employment is a means of achieving the capacity to provide for you and your family, it secures one’s social status and it’s the only way for me to buy SHOES! Regular employment from the respective companies we report to have been attained through blood, sweat and tears. It’s the culmination of one’s educational attainment and various acquired life experiences. It’s the patiently falling in line in an endless queue on a job fair; the barrage of tests that needs to be passed; the stern dissection of your whole being in the final interview and the occasional drama of locating the company’s office for the geographically challenged. Simply put, we worked are arse off in securing our employment and when a threat of losing it arises we must by all means do what is necessary to fight for it.
In situations where in an alleged violation is committed by an employee and an impending dismissal is at bay, every person is entitled to the Twin Requirements of Due Process, Substantive and Procedural. The Twin Requirement of Notice and Hearing is essential to be present since if any crucial step is missed out or if you’re being simply bullied by a superior who’s coping with childhood issues of being picked-on due to her weight, one can file a complaint to The National Labor and Regulations Commission (NLRC). This writing focuses on pointers in writing a reply to a notice to explain:
- Answer all points raised. Some superiors have NTEs in templates and ready to be issued as soon as they find someone to pick on which may result to a person having an NTE with multiple allegation against company policies that may not have relation to the actual misdemeanor.
- Enumerate the pertinent allegations that you were accused of and rebut every single one.
- Explain it clearly. Promotion is not always based on skill and intelligence, the person who maybe the one who will read and decide on your faith may not have the common sense to understand your side right away.
- Recount what transpired
- Include specifics like the date the NTE was issued and when the infraction was committed etc.
- A clear conscience alone will not suffice, werk it…werk!
- Include names of people who can vouch for you, if there are people who can attest to your innocence include their names so the panel can validate with them the veracity of your defense. You may want to hold off including people who wouldn’t mind not seeing you around in the workplace.
- Be humble. It may be extremely tempting to cuss out on everyone’s hypocrisy but you can keep that to yourself in the meantime. Let karma deal with them.
- Apologize for whatever mistakes you may have committed.
- Sight your plan on improving or correcting your shortcomings in order to be an impeccable employee, you don’t really have to do it in the end but it’s the thought that counts.
Sample of a reply to an NTE;
This is in answer to the alleged violation of the Code of Discipline issued to me on January X, 20XX. I understand the impact to our customers and to the business as a whole, the severity of the violations alleged in my Notice to Explain. In regards to the customers concern, she was calling about an old number that she wanted to use on her account. The customer was frustrated due to a misinformation provided to her by a representative on a previous call she made to customer care. She used to belong to a different account where she was an authorized user and having activated a new account of her own, she now requested for the temporary number on her current account to be replaced by the old number on her previous account. She was informed that her previous number can be used on her account by a representative and a ticket was even submitted on her behalf. The said request was in turn declined by the XXXXXXXXXXXX. I provided the correct information to the customer by informing her that the number that she was requesting to be used in her current account cannot be replaced until her temporary number has been active for more than 60 days. I am not guilty of providing inaccurate statements and I have remained compliant with the policies stipulated in XXXXXXXXXXXX in order to provide the correct information to the customer. (see XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX). I understand the importance of providing a supervisor to the customer as soon as they ask for one but unfortunately at the time of the call there was no one available to take my call. My immediate supervisor was unavailable as well for me to endorse my call to him which left me unable to transfer the customer to anyone. The customer asked which department handles Number Transfers which I provided the information to her accordingly. The Customer then asked to be transferred to that specific department and the call ended. Moving forward I will work on improving my tone so as not to come across as condescending. I maintain that I do not intend to be rude to the customer. I will further work on improving my call handling skills in order to be in line with the company’s goals. I have exhausted all of my tools and resources to provide quality service to the customer and it is just unfortunate that no one was available for me to endorse the escalation to and the customer asked to be transferred to a different department anyway.I will strive to make every customer interaction the best possible experience to them since it reflects the type of service and value XXXXXXX gives to their customers. Being a frontline representative I understand that I represent the client and I promise to work hard in order to provide exceptional service in every call I receive. I will continue to acknowledge the customer's problem and work with the tools I’m provided to provide resolution. My aim is to overcome customer objections, build rapport and take ownership.