Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tips for Shopaholics: Beat the Urge to Splurge


I used to be a really compulsive shopper. I've been employed for almost three years now and have nothing to show for it other than the massive pile of garments that occupy two closets and a half, towering stacks of shoeboxes and a heap full of bags in dust-jackets. I don't suffer from the compulsions anymore (because I'm broke); here are some tricks that helped:

When you have to pay a trip down your local mall

1. Chew on it for a day or two (If you’re lucky, it'll be sold-out by the time you comeback).
2. Tell yourself you'll buy it when you lose weight (You'll never lose weight so you'll never have to buy).
3. Try to dress up when you go shopping (Anything you try on will look good on you if you go there looking like you've been shipwrecked).
4. Get a friends opinion (To stop you from looking better than they do, the jealous double-crosser will talk you into not buying).

The 'I don't have anything to wear' moments

1. Borrow clothes (I wear my very rich cousin's dresses, without her permission of course).
2. Work with what you already have. If you often wear a particular shirt with denim jeans... try pairing it with a skirt instead.
3. Looking pretty for your crush doesn't count (Don't put much effort to someone who wouldn't even touch you with a 13 inch prodding rod).


Make your current Wardrobe Functional

1. Learn how to mix-and-match.
2. Accessorize (try not to look like you’re out to go fortune telling in Quiapo).
3. Organize so you see every piece of apparel you have available (I'd fit on clothes, roll them up and stash them back again if I don't wear it. I usually end up having an ukay-ukay in my own bedroom).
i. Clothes hanged should be arranged from longer pieces to shorter ones this creates a diagonal free space for use.
ii. Fold using a card board box as an outline. This makes it easier to pile them up.
iii. Separate the black pieces to prevent lint.
iv. Pieces you wear more often should be more accessible than what you're currently not using and are on standby for the "what-if-it-makes-a-comeback".
v. Knitted cardigans should be folded to let their shape last longer.
vi. Hand wash delicate fabrics.
vii. Launder denims inside out to save its color.

4. Try not to give away your old clothes (the hottest look for next season may be the khaki 'six-pockets').
5. Watch DIY tutorials to use your old stuff and make something new out of it (I used my brother's Abercrombie shirt and turned it in to a rosette clip-on for my shoes).

Good-looking people are as what the word implies... good-looking! If you look good you don't need a new outfit every day, I'm not one of those people so Imma go SHOPPING!!!!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha i was laughing while reading this blog.. ewan ko lang kung masunod mo ito my dear friend, but i will still support you. kaya yan!! go kaya yan!! start saving money for better future.

    ReplyDelete